Friday, May 1, 2009

Pet Crisis


I have a pet named “toyang”. He is a guinea pig, which I named after a popular song of my favorite Pinoy band. My sister gave him to me as birthday gift. At first, I was reluctant to mothering a pet because I did not know how to take care of him. Aside from feeding, I was not even sure how often should he need to be bathed or does he even need to be bathed. Fortunately, we had this thing called ‘internet’ to educate me on the matter. And so, everything went smoothly…that was until I needed to move.

I needed to move to a new place because I needed to attend school. As I checked out the neighborhood, I felt quite pleased with my decision for I seemed to have found a very nice area. Of course, I brought “toyang” with me. Boy the little one was exhausted because of the attention he got during our trip. Little did I know, he was already feeling not so good. What seemed to be fatigue in my eyes were actually a tell-tale sign of an illness, which my ignorance failed to spot. As we settle in our new home, his condition got worse. While I was all in awe of our new neighborhood, I failed to even think if there is a pet shop nearby or a veterinarian which I can bring “toyang”. To my dismay, there weren’t any.

That was the time when I regretted my decision to move in that area. If only I did not overlooked the details regarding “toyang’s” needs. I know people might find this story of mine hilarious but it is a serious matter to people who truly love their furry friends. He was after all my baby.

So, after driving to the city to get help for toyang, I have decided to make another move. This time, I was eyeing a property similar to the beautiful ones posted at Wilmington NC Real Estate, which incidentally is known for their humane efforts to create an animal and pet-friendly community. I have taken the liberty to survey the area and it was quite a neighborhood. One great thing about it is that the community has a support group regarding pet/animal care. They have a community veterinarian that caters to both farm and domesticated animals. With that, who knows ? I may even get NJ, my son, a dog or a cat. But before I get carried away, I have to go to “toyang” now for his medicine… did you know what the doctor said about his illness? – A furry case of jetlag.

0 comments: