Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Simply Thankful


Our campus minister, who happened to be also my dear Spanish instructor, told me that being thankful to the littlest things in life will help me make a 360-degree turn, in terms of my perception of life. Being thankful for the clean air, for the tap water that reaches our  home, for the decent meals I share with my family in our dinner table, these things are often overlooked when appreciating life.

Many times, I have complained about the trivial things like the heat, the difficulties of learning to speak Spanish, NJ’s “toy installations” in the living room, the sweat and the remains of a good meal on my collar and pants. I always find it easy to complain about things, which sometimes makes me feel a bit discontented about my life. Although I have all the things I needed to thrive, I seem to have acquired a habit of complaining. This Christmas, I want to be more appreciative and thankful for everything that God has given me. I am thankful for the love that people has bestowed upon me. I am thankful for the true friendship that strengthened me. I am thankful for the people who have wronged me deeply, because they convinced me that somehow some way, God exacts justice where it is needed be, because in the end, I was the one who ended up polished and gleaming and happy. Things simply go back to where they belong. No matter how much difficulty, hardship or pain I have suffered, what’s important is the person that these things made me become – stronger, driven, better, though a bit feisty.

I have learned to look at the good things that come out of the bad things. I have learned to see hope in frustration. I have seen consequences with offenses. I have seen fairness.  For all these things, I am thankful.

0 comments: