Monday, September 6, 2010

Pride


A professor of mine mentioned that when the western culture screams “leave me alone”, the Filipino culture would say, “don’t leave me alone”. One distinct characteristic of Filipinos is always having companions in doing the most trivial tasks. A lady always needs someone to tag along with her pursuits, like the comfort room for instance. When buying a dress, she definitely needs the approval of her friends before deciding on which piece to take. On the other hand, men tend to court women through their friends. As the cliché goes, no Filipino men go into battle alone, they often use human shields…LOL!

After spending quality time alone, I realized that I didn't feel depressed, low or at loss at any thing. I was raised to be an independent woman who faces life’s challenges head-on, that means shopping alone, going to school alone, going to girl scout camping alone and more things I already forgot. Never was I in the habit of asking my friends to accompany me at doing something, unless we agree on doing something together, for practicality’s sake. Even when I treat my son on occasions, I am more comfortable going alone with only him and me, hand in hand. I was never the needy or clingy type, which is often misunderstood as cold or unfeeling or simply "suplada". It’s just that I am not in the habit of bothering people with my own business. Call it everything you want, but my going solo in most things that I do is my personal brand of pride...pride that whatever I have and whatever I will have, besides my family, that's all thanks to ME. Thanks honey for understanding that.

0 comments: